Rebranding Brainstorming for Zcoin

What is the goal of a ZCoin rebranding ?
Can we achieve this goal in another way than rebranding ?
Rebranding is dangerous : we can lost a big part of the hard work made in ZCoin brand since 4 years.

I think the main problem was people thinking we’re a Zcash fork but I actually haven’t heard that in a while but then again we haven’t seen an influx of new users into the space as a whole and those that remain know who we are.

I think to rebrand now would be a bit dangerous though as you said.

For the confusion betwenn ZCoin and ZCash time will prove ZCoin is right and ZCash will disappear.
The problem is how long it will take for ZCoin to get the recognition it deserves.
In the meantime, the priority for the ZCoin community must be (in addition to the technical aspects, but the team manages them very well) to end the price fall and even the revaluation of it.
With the next fork the mastrnodes profibality will decrease and it will be more difficult to attract new investors. If the ZCoin price is not growing, it will be impossible to expand our community.

I can only offer a newb/outsider’s intuitive, feelsy perspective.

Quick background: I did work in design and corporate branding for a few years, years back. I own a small business and work long into the night. I have wife and kids on top of that so I don’t spend much time online or on my phone at all.

I do hold/mine a few coins and I do have a basic but firm understanding of blockchain, and a good sense of what’s out there and what’s junk.

So I’m a crypto everyman, a joe sixpack who pulls apart electric motors for the copper on the weekends, usually wearing a black t shirt with a big orange “M” on it.

I don’t think people like me get hung up on the problematic origins of the brand or what it signified. That is an understandable concern for someone right up on top of the project but from down here you have a really cool color scheme, and very memorable font, and a very cool name.

I did wonder if there was a connection between Zcoin and Zcash at first, but believe it or not it wasn’t because of the similar names. It was because as a consumer, I was researching the difference between privacy coins, and well yeah, they both have “Z’s” in the name from there.

Point is, I have little interest in Zcash even though my perception of it is that it is “easier” to acquire than Zcoin. I mean, you can buy it on Coinbase for crying out loud.

Anyway, if you must change the branding the best comment I saw above in this thread was the one where someone shopped a Greek Sigma to evoke the XZC “Z.” That is pretty lit if I must say.

Thanks, I.

1 Like

Just adding to the ideas. Inspired by the Lelantus video on Zcoin Youtube channel (6/24/2020).

Name idea: ZbitZ or ZBITZ

With Lelantus any size of bits will be created in the mint process as I understand.

Essentially: ------------> Z-in, Mint your bits, Z-out ---------->

I am thinking “Z” is referring to your protocols and privacy.

“Bit” is referring to the minting of the new bits, or even a reference nod to bitcoin.

Also, coins are a real world currency for the common person. Bits does have a digital history since the age of computers, but it appears to have more meaning in the current/future digital currency age.

anyway just wanted to share my thought.

Thanks for the insight luvenalis! Greatly appreciated especially as an outsider point of view.

So I wanted to share some thoughts on this. This has gone on for a very long time and although we tend to trend back towards keeping the name Zcoin just because there’s no name that everyone immediately likes, I think we have to ask ourselves a few questions.

There’s a reason why this topic keeps coming up and we can’t ignore that we are in the shadow of Zcash just because of the name. We can’t assume all outsiders to find out the difference and as long as Zcash has a much higher market cap than us, anyone new to the space will be a little confused.

Being the current de-facto representative of the coin, I see this almost every other day or even people who know of Zcoin a little bit still often think that we’re a Zcash fork or started out that way. And don’t get me wrong, i really have no issues with Zcoin as a name and in fact have grown fond of it, but we need to look at the big picture and not just the current community.

What do we need to do to increase the chances of more people coming into Zcoin? Do we want to base if off confusion with Zcash? Zcoin needs to grow past its current community to thrive or we fade off into irrelevance. While we are smallish, we can do this and we should jump at the opportunity to re-invent ourselves esp since Lelantus is around the corner.

After asking many many people outside and inside our project and also thinking about what Zcoin stands for, we have a new name proposal. Four letters, no Zs, got the .org domain too it also has a great ticker. It relates to the concept of our privacy process and hopefully our governance process too so I’m really strong about it. Over the next few weeks we’ll be fleshing this out complete with a new logo and look.

The idea is to do the rebrand with the launch of Lelantus to shed the old image of Zcoin completely and Zerocoin to really represent the new us and who we are today.

3 Likes

What do we need to do to increase the chances of more people coming into Zcoin?

Great questions. I agree a rebrand is a good start to give Zcoin it’s own identity. I also think that identifying the currency’s monetary demand across the market is crucial. I think Bitcoin’s monetary demand has proven to be a store of value driven by expectation of gains and USD debasement. Zcoin is private, so is private store of value a worthwhile objective? Who are the big players in this space for high net worth individuals to market to and partner with? Hmmm…

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any silver bullet but:
a) have a brand that doesn’t make ppl have negative connotations immediately
b) have privacy that just works
c) Have liquidity
are good starting places :smiley:

What do we need to do to increase the chances of more people coming into Zcoin? During the halving event, tech release, or rebrand event, we could do a series of zcoin giveaways to promote/highlight some new feature/release. Alternatively the project can sponsor a limited clothing merch sale/giveaway to promote the project.

Here’s a few other ideas I just like to throw out there.

DEC (pronounced ‘Deck’) Acronym for Decentralized Electronic Credit Ticker: DEC

Alternatively Digital Electronic Cash or whatever combination that works.

Voltor (XVR) (VLR)

Zeltor (ZTR) (ZLT)

AURA sounds great :wink:

1 Like

I dont have a good proposal but if we can find a name that can bu used as a “verb” it would be great.
What i mean is like the name Dash. You could say i will Dash you …
Hope you guys get my point. And i also like the Aura name, think i seen it before, maybe another project or maybe from previous chat, not sure.

Aura was the name of our successor to Lelantus as it’s Lelantus’ daughter :smiley:

Tough SEO though.

‘Zip’ coin? :thinking: can we or even allowed to use it? is ‘Zip’ name patented?

Suggestions all fits the ticker XZC:

zoocow
zeacow
zcow
zuckercow
zupercow
zircuscow
zircusclown
zorrocow
zencow
zoupcoin
zupercoin
zupercorn
zweetcorn
zweetcoin
zuncow
zuncorn
zuncoin

0d1f7c8add30a790d6e984d685a1dc0bd939b4a5720fc61811ad6c034f43d745
981412a37b573fe05d0dcd2902e4d21346b6c6643ce3435b3494b5ab2a6df0d3

:smiley:

Dead but yeah will be tough for SEO also!

You like them cows eh :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

yea - more a brain fart than a brain child.
Tried to suggest something that stuck out without sounding too scary… :male_detective:
Something to meme about!

ZCoin isn’t too bad a name, and it’s pretty OG by now, just not so memeable.

I like three names:

Mint
Zoro
Zero