Rebranding Brainstorming for Zcoin

The people who gets confused are probably those new to cryptomarket. For mass market, people will have easier time to understand what vcash is as compared to zcash. It’s easier to market vcash as virtual money.
Zcoin could be rebranded as some weird, abstract name, but I doubt it will have appeal. Branding and packaging plays a big role. We need to rebrand because we are doing away zero coin. Makes no sense to keep the same zcoin name. We need to change to adapt.
I keep referring back to Dash as an example because they made the right choice to rebrand. At this point no one cares about its history. They are further ahead than we are. And Dash’s development and community growth and maturity is where we need to be.
Zcoin need a fresh start.

Zao.

Zao coin will be able to:
ZaoSpend
ZaoMint / ZaoMints

“I would like to pay in Zao. “
Zao has asian characteristics in its name and could probably garner attention from the asian audience especially the chinese for example. The use of the word “Zao” in the asian language could be easily spoken by native asians which could make a great impact when it comes to adoption. “Zao” is similar in pronounciation to “Bao” which means bread in chinese for example.

We can keep the Z logo and maybe brainstorm to have different color alternatives that the community agree on. I am definitely fine with the logo the way it is, just an idea.

3 Likes

Σgis (Aegis)
the nerd coin
makes total sense, DO IT

A little bit of feedback on some of the suggestions …
I sorta liked Zebaro … in a Bazarro sort of way … but there’s no good reason to like it … and there’s already a Zebpay exchange … and Zebracoin would sound a little bit silly-ish.
Privypay … may have a negative connotation (it can mean private secret information, but a privy can also mean a back-yard toilet) - also similar coins are: Privcy (PRIV) … also … Zpay might work (Keeping the Z for zero-knowledge-proof) … and using pay for the reasons Fudge gave (paypal etc.)
I actually liked Zao … until I google-searched-it …
in Serbo-Croatian it can mean - evil, malicious, bad, mean, wicked …
in Greek it means to live or breath (that one’s not bad) …
and in Mandarin … depending on the pronunciation … it can have a dozen different meanings … morning, to make something … etc, etc.
Zao is the name of a metalcore band in the US, and also a progressive-rock band in France, as well as a villain in the James Bond movie ‘Die Another Day’.
So … obviously someone would need to do a lot of research so you don’t re-brand Zcoin into something that part of the world will either be afraid of, or be confused with.
Also - similar coin names are: Zixx (XZX) and Zio (ZIO) … which may cause some potential confusion there as well.
Or … there’s always Zcoin … … … :grin:

2 Likes

Zpay doesn’t sound bad. Just that we are getting rid of zero coin soon. And people might think of zerocoin or sneer knowledge. Also zcoin is not a payment system. It’s currency.

My personal thought process now is to go something beginning with E so that we can use the Sigma logo that can still retain a connection to the Zcoin logo.

So for example:
Σgis (alternate spelling for Aegis that means shield)
Σrgo
Σmerge
Σngage
Σon

I definitely want to move away from the ‘coin’ or ‘cash’ name.

The name should be friendly and not be ‘dark’ as we don’t want to paint privacy as a bad thing. Dash’s rebrand from Darkcoin is an excellent example of this.

4 Likes

Aegis kinda goes nicely with Lelantus!

I love the logo as well. Makes a nice link between Zcoin and Aegis/Σgis

1 Like

Σgis .
I liked the name.

1 Like

“Σ” hard to type on keyboard.

3 Likes

Some feedback on E-names …

Egis sounds good … you could incorporate a shield into the website somehow as well to connect the two.
Ergo is already taken … and ergo you can’t use it …
Emerge is good … but sounds like things are just starting to emerge and the coin is well along the way …
Engage sounds good - and may play well with other integration options in the real world.
Eon is good … but implies a long time (eons) …

One concern about using the sigma logo are:
What happens if you want to switch to a different protocol in the future … same problem as switching from Zerocoin, but if sigma is here to stay then that isn’t an issue.

The sigma logo looks good, and transitions well from the ‘Z’
(you could have the website morph from one to the other when you switch names).

I think you need to think about how the name will work with any connections and uses in the real world
(I’d like to pay with Egis … or I’d like to Engage in a transaction, … etc.)

Other suggestions (starting with E):
Earth (can you dig it??)
Exchange
Earn
Entropy
Envision
Enlighten
Evaluate
Egalitarian (a little bit long … but appropriate) - could be Egal for short.

I agree … it was :point_up: reuben’s idea … hahaha …

E is not an S … and it will be confusing for some people …

Gee … what about Zcoin … … … :grinning:

1 Like

Re-brands, swaps, forks… always seem to happen just as markets start to recover and end with lower prices, loss of appeal, loss of history, loss of coins, wallet issues, wasting devs time, less coins… the whole idea is ridiculous. Who comes up with these mad unnecessary schemes??? There are all sorts of marketing reasons to KEEP zcoin. Privacy is fantastic. Leave well alone.
The sigma idea is stupid just from the point of view of search engines alone. Zcoin is a recognised coin that had an all time high of $140 and will exceed that in the future. Then there’s the exchanges having to mess about. STOP all this nonsense now. Amateurs!

If your average joe has heard of cryptocurrency at all it will probably be Bitcoin… ‘COIN’. Zcoin is short, which is good. Z suggests the be all and end all and has many marketing avenues open to it. Green matches the heart chakra, a subconcious universal appeal. Greenbacks come to mind, which can be seen as an attempt to introduce people’s money as opposed to a private bunch of criminals called the fed or royal mint’s money.

‘Pay’ is terrible… Navcoin have NAVpay as one of their wallets already. It sounds Mickey Mouse-ish, postal order, monopoly money.

This whole idea smacks of someone’s ego needing stroking.

I think the ‘Z’ associations across the board help all of these Z coins, a sort of cross pollination. If we make a big deal out of the Sigma element but keep the Zcoin name it suggests stability and innovaion. That way it’s win win all round.

“people don’t even know that the Z stands for zero coin” is a great point by AubreyMaturin given what’s happened.

This 3 post limit is curtailing my ideas.

6 Likes

On the subject of DASH… they spent a small fortune on marketing campaigns around the world. Who is going to do this for Zcoin? Gordon Bennett, I really liked this coin until I heard this garbage!

3 Likes

On another, but related, note… the market has been badly badly rigged since Tether reared it’s ugly head. High frequency bot trading is the only explanation for the ridiculous volume being produced with next to no gains eg. How can 4 x times the total supply of LTC trade in a week? I know no-one selling Litecoin. The regulators are into Bitfinex and Tether and probably soon into a few more of these criminal exchange operations. I hate regulation normally but in the case of crypto it’s sorely needed. Then there’s exchanges like HODLit coming online, VERI waiting in the wings etc. etc. All this translates to cryptocurrencies actually being worth multiples of times more than they are currently being traded at. Don’t kill the golden goose right at the moment when it’s about to lay Golden eggs.

1 Like

Does zcoin really need to re-brand and why?

If zcoin really need to re-brand, why dont you set up the better approach or hire a profession marketing, I think the approach you are doing right now is not a good idea because many people do not think about the important points of the name eg. easy to remember, easy to search, distinguish from other privacy.

Please think of mass people more than this.

5 Likes

I have provided ideas to help re-brand if necessary … but I have also, and still do, really question the need to re-brand.

I agree with the points made by catchingknives, TheFalseProfit and Wachi … is it really necessary … and is "E"igma the right way to go.

Like the old saying … “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” … Zcoin is a really good project … don’t mess it up.

Is the team just trying to distance themselves from past issues … or the perceived conflict with Zcash? … or is there a real reason we don’t know about that the name needs to change.

While it’s nice that you have a potential new logo (the Sigma sign, and it would be a nice transition from the Zcoin Z, I do question using it to pick the name especially starting with an E …
just because you have the Sigma doesn’t mean you need to use it … at least not as part of the name anyway.

Picking a name can make or break a company (or coin in this case).

I think the name should be chosen based on what the coin is going to mean to people that are going to use it … and until you get a clear picture of how Zcoin is going to really fit into the real world, I don’t think a name change is a good idea.

Just my personal opinion …

Since I’m new here I’m not allowed to add another reply … so I need to edit this one and add some notes to respond to the following 3 responses … (I love this forum … ya right) …

More comments:

The Z can still stand for Zero-knowledge … a fundamental design integrated into Zcoin …
That’s why the name really doesn’t need to change from Zcoin …
since both Sigma and Lelantus continue to use Zero-Knowledge proofs in their design … that’s the nice thing.
I agree … spend the resources on making Zcoin even better … and give it some real world functionality …
something people can get excited about … then change the name if it makes sense …

7 Likes

A name that appeal to regular people who are not crypto nuts like us. A name too complex and weird and makes no sense won’t get accepted by masses. A easy, 1 to 2 syllables, a generic word. Need to be catchy.

Rebranding means changing your domain name, losing all your Google SEO credibility, re-educating everyone who may have heard of zcoin over the past three to four years that there is a new name for it, all very big considerations.

Meanwhile, I would say that it is more worthwhile to focus on big questions like, why should I use zcoin instead of Bitcoin? How can privacy be enabled by default with zcoin?

When will a new wallet be ready, and also then a mobile wallet that makes it easy to use from your phone?

With limited resources in the team, I would suggest that focusing on these more fundamental things are a better use of the time.

6 Likes

Yah we don’t need to rebrand. Time and resources could be better used elsewhere. With that being said. The z stands for something. And now we are transitioning to letantus. Not changing the name is like Tesla not rebranding after transitioning from electric to gasoline. The name no longer serve its purpose.

3 Likes

I recommend that a rebrand should be put on back burner for now since the team have bigger tasks at hand like Sigma release and new wallet GUI.

Rebrand can be considered when people know that the tech is there. Rebranding and not having suitable tech in place does not seem ideal strategy at the moment. (Timing is not ideal for a Rebrand right now)

Another thought …
Even after a new release (and if we have a rebrand) … imagine people getting interested in the tech and googling the ‘new name’ to find out more and not getting many search results as all past info (even news articles) are linked to Zcoin and then we’ll spend more time explaining to people that this is Zcoin (but rebranded) and has been around since 2016 and is not a new coin that popped up whenever the new name starts doing the rounds.

Let’s postpone this please. :slight_smile:

6 Likes